State of California is a work in progress.

While we test our website, the information here might not be completely accurate. We welcome your feedback. Thanks for helping us make government services easier to use.

If you need the current site, please visit

Apply for a Cal Grant: Step 1

Apply for financial aid, if you haven’t already

There are two ways to apply for financial aid that can lead to a Cal Grant. Submit a FAFSA or CADAA form, if you haven’t already.

    Apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you:

  • Have U.S. Citizenship
  • Or are a Permanent Resident
  • Or do not have U.S. Citizenship, but you are eligible for federal student aid
  • Or have a T Visa
Apply for FAFSA
Apply for CADAA

Next step:

Check your GPA status

Return to the beginning: Apply for a Cal Grant