Request a birth certificate
There are three main ways to order a California birth certificate.
Visit a county office
- You have to apply with the county where the person was born.
- Cost: $28
- Processing time: Varies, but could be as soon as the same day
- You’ll sign a sworn statement in front of a county worker.
- You may need to bring a driver’s license, passport, or other photo ID from the government that hasn’t expired.
Mail a request
- You can apply online through the private companies VitalChek and Vital Records Now.
- Cost: $31–$110
- Processing time: 2 to 3 weeks